Unlike Phineas and Ferb, I do not get 104 days of summer vacation. While most people count the days to summer, I gear up for what is one of the busiest times in the library…summer reading. Summer reading is a juggle of special programming, books and materials for people rediscovering the library and scores of people visiting the library.
This year I feel more prepared (well prepared-ish) than I have in a while and wanted to do some non-work things for myself.
My friend Wanda shared a Summer Survival Kit and I couldn’t resist playing along.
It’s sort of like a bucket list but just for summer.
- Be able to run a mile without stopping. Working out with Black Girls Run makes me feel that this goal is actually attainable.
- Get to the beach. I have been avoiding the beach for a few summers since I wasn’t liking the way I looked. I still look the way I look and have decided to throw whining to the wind.
- Picnics with Effin Guy. Honestly picnics are overrated but the idea of a leisurely meal with my guy sounds pretty awesome. Extra points if this adventure can be outdoors and with a band backing us up.
- Visit an amusement park with The Bee. Why haven’t I gone to an amusement park? See number 2. The way I look wreaks havoc on my plans.
- Get a decent grill and burn some meat. The grill I have is small and does the trick but it takes forever to grill anything. You can either do meals for one or eat in stages. I’d like something a little bit bigger to be able to grill everything at once and maybe, just maybe, try a grilled pizza. (and not really burn…I thought that sounded cool. Perhaps I was wrong)
- Shakespeare in the Park. The fates have it out for me regarding Shakespeare in the park. I’m either sick, its hella hot or the event is rained out. This year The Bee and I are going to head to Clark Park and get our fill of The Bard.
- Summer concert series at Penn’s Landing. Free movies. Free music. I could totes combine this with my Effin Guy dates! This is another thing that I always “mean to do” but something causes me not to. Most events are free and all within a bus ride away. I’ve just learned that Pitch Perfect is a part of this series. Zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom…! Addendum…the schedule I attached is LAST year’s and there is no Pitch Perfect *wipes tears* This year’s line up includes Frozen and I do plan to be there singing my heart out to Love is an Open Door.
On August second there will be a screening of Pitch Perfect in Mt Airy so I get to eat food at a diner AND sing. It’s a win for all.
- Reclaim my neighborhood. Well, at least my little slice of it. The house next door to me is abandoned and the lawn grows like nobody’s business with weeds and trash and litter. After visiting other parts of the city (the hipper up and coming parts) i want my part of the city to look better. I started with some herbs and flowers and learned of some grants to help fight urban blight.
- Lunch/dinner/outings with friends. I say this all of the time and then make sorry excuses for why I can’t but damnit, I am going to make it work. One friend is visiting from Texas and I am going to make it my business to see her and her littles. Then there are the friends from blogging, the part-time gig and work that I keep meaning to see but somehow never make it work. This summer whether it be coffee, ice cream or just meeting at the fountain, I am going to see them.
That’s my list…what say you all? I feel like this summer is the start of no excuses, no regrets and time to just enjoy.
How are you going to survive this summer?
Did you like this post? Check out some of my other musings about summer:
Finish the sentence Friday: a similar list of things to do for summer.
Forget Winter, Summer Reading is Coming: I get “giffy” with it.
Flashback Friday: Summer Reading is Coming: A look back of Summer Readings Past: