In one of my Facebook groups, a discussion was started after this article, Losing our grip: More students entering school without fine motor skills, was shared. After chatting with some fellow librarians, an idea I have been procrastinating on to allow for the introduction of activities during storytime which would encourage the building of fine motor skill. After cruising Pinterest, an idea began to take shape and a test run was done during storytime. We were reading books about leaves and fall and created trees, inspired by this craft from Hands On As We Grow, using pipe cleaners, beads and buttons, a simple craft which made a great storytime souvenir.
The books we read were
To make their own trees, children were encouraged to twist the pipe cleaners into tree shapes and then thread the beads and buttons.
r’s notes: Affiliate links are used in this post. If you click through the link and make a purchase, I will receive a small commission.
For more crafts from The Brand Connection, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Create It Chalkboard by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Thanksgiving Leaf Banner & Centerpiece by B is 4
- Create Some Pallet Art by TigerStrypes Blog
- Feather Rings by Adventures in All Things Food
- Tea Set for Dollies by Girlie Creation
- Tree Motor Skill Craft by Say It, “Rah-shay”