Late to the Monday Listcles party again (shh!) but wanted to join in on the name game.
My mom named me Rachee which I HATED, HATED, HATED as a kid. No one could (can) pronounce it, I could never find it on cups or those plastic license plates and I just did not want to be THAT kid with the different name. I used to beg my mother to change my name although now I am glad that she didn’t. I love that my name is unique (although I did notice that a few people on The Facebook have my name but I’ll allow it…a little.
Here are the ten names I would have loved to been called instead of Rachee.
1. Rachel. Yes. Not much of a stretch but that was to be the name of the ONE baby my mom thought she was having.
2. Stacey. There was a girl down the street from us who was named Stacey and I just thought she had THE best name.
3. Katherine. That was to be Rachel’s middle name and I was okay with it being a first name. Then I would be called Kat or Kathy.
4. Melissa. My nickname is Missy and people always thought it was short for Melissa.
5. Toni. I went through this thing wishing I had a boy’s name as a girl because I grew up with an idiot father who would say things like girls can’t join the army or be doctors.
6. Roberta. The first time I saw an album cover with Roberta Flack’s name on it I nearly flipped. A boy’s name…but for a girl!
7. Kelly. Cause it was just so normal.
8. Samantha. It seemed so elegant and fancy. Also, I may or may not have thought that would have been one step closer to being a with.
9. Jennifer. See above. Jennifer was so unique way back in the seventies.
10. Kim. There was this mean girl named Kim growing up so I should hate this name but whatevs. Kim was a name of a person who took no stuff and I wanted to be like here.
There it is. The ten names I used to want to have. I feel like I have grown into Rachee and that there are no other names I should be called.
What say you? What names did you call yourself as a kid?
Link up next week with Monday Listicles as we share ten guilty (guiltier) pleasures.