On the first Friday of each month ArtSpace in Lansdowne opens its doors to allow a glimpse of the what’s offered. Dill suggested we go so I rounded up The Bee and Arli and we learned all about the traditional Ukrainian art of Pysanky. Pysanky is a Ukrainian method of decorated painted eggs and during the First Friday event we got to create some.
Pysanky was so much fun! At first I watched as the kids created eggs and then I had to make my own! Marty Von Rosenstiel was so patient explaining to each person who attended the steps for creating their own eggs.
We were given raw eggs and showed how to use a Kistna, which is like a pencil or stylus to write on the eggs. Using a candle, we melted beeswax which we then used to create a design on the egg.
Next we dyed our eggs using one of the many jars of color available.
After letting the dye dry, we pricked a hole in the egg and blew out the content of the egg. Marty shared that in the Ukraine, the raw eggs are left intact! She told us we didn’t want to be around when they exploded…yuck!
Arli was very good at pricking the egg-shell and declared that we all give her our eggs to open.
After draining the content of the egg, it was time to melt the wax. We used a little toaster oven for this.
And then our eggs were ready! (These are not our eggs but samples from the studio).
More pictures from the night. The kids had a ball and, despite their reluctance to try it, I had to drag them away when it was time to leave!
More events from the night: Photography from Brian Mengini, Jewelry from Angela Urso and Music from Dante Bucci coupled with tasty nibbles and running into friends made this unexpected outing so much more fun.
Want to try Pysanky? Enter to win a pair of tickets to Art Space Lansdowne’s Eggstravaganza upcoming workshops.
- Contest runs from March 17th through March 23rd.
- One winner will be chosen.
- Winner will have a choice of a dates for a pair of tickets for either Saturday, April 5, 10 am – 2 pm or Sunday, April 6, 10 am – 2 pm
- Winner will have 24 hours to reply to e-mail or an alternative winner will be chosen.
Please note: all ages are welcome but this workshop DOES involve open flames and hot, melted wax.
- Please leave a comment using the word “egg.”
Additional entries (please leave a comment with each individual entry method!)
- Click here to tweet:
[Tweet “It’s EGGSellent! Enter to win tix to ArtSpace Lansdowne’s EGGStravaganza ends 3/23”]
- “Like” ArtSpace on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artspacelansdowne
- Share this contest on Facebook
- Leave the word, “EGGSellent!” on my Facebook page
- Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sayitrahshay
- Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Sayitrahshay
- Follow yaRRns on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/yaRRns
Not feeling lucky? Buy tickets directly from ArtSpace!
ArtSpace Lansdowne is at 25 South Lansdowne Avenue, Lansdowne, Pennsylvania 19050
Phone (484) 466-6413
Deadline to register is 4/2 for the Saturday, April 5th class and 4/3 for the Sunday, April 6th class.
Good luck and have an EGGSiting time!
r’s note: This contest was created by myself to share the great time and arts.