Each week my library hosts a drop in craft program/activity which we call Dig This…! We came up with the idea so that we could explore activities that may not neatly fall under the reading theme “Dig Into Reading” but seemed as if they would be enjoyed by lots of people, especially since these activities are attended by some of the local camps. We dug into our Pinterest archives and created a solar oven to attempt s’mores
We created both ovens and below are instructions for the Basic Oven
- Pizza boxes (clean/unused) or any clean, unused box
- aluminum foil
- plastic wrap
- box cutter (Deluxe Oven)
- sticks about a foot long or a ruler (Deluxe Oven)
- graham crackers
- gourmet chocolate (Hershey’s Brookside chocolate)
- spice drops
Take a clean unused box and line with foil, shiny side up. Keep the foil as unwrinkled as possible when lining your box.
Place ingredients in the box.
Cover box with plastic wrap (I am not above using no frills brands but found that the less expensive cling wrap did not adhere as well. We also had to use scissors to cut the plastic wrap.
Set in the sun until melted.
The day we made our ovens was a cloudy day. The chocolate melted for sure but the other ingredients did not.
Check out our Video of solar ovens
Pinterest pins that inspired this post:
-Love to Know Green Living: http://greenliving.lovetoknow.com/Solar_Oven
So, do you have a Thrilling Thursday craft? Link up with The Blogger Connection Crafters!
Latest posts by Rachee (see all)
- Viki’s Granola: Review and Recipe Creation - March 10, 2017
- The Actual Post About the #FLKeysCookOff Cooking Competition - March 9, 2017
- Day of No Clutter Blog Tour + Giveaway - March 6, 2017